Many women keep juggling between heightened sexual desire, their approximate ovulation date, and their monthly periods. It is also true that unless they use some guaranteed contraceptive measure, they are very much concerned about the safe period to have unprotected sex.
But one of the funniest things may be said that mostly all women experience heightened sex drive around their menses or even during their menses. The reason behind is no doubt hormonal. Because of less estrogen reserves during this period, their sex drive gets a boost. However, can women really enjoy sex during those 4-5 days of vaginal bleeding? Let’s see the different perspectives-
- First of all, let’s be sure that the bleeding you are experiencing is menstrual bleeding and not ovulatory bleeding (called mittleschmertz in medical terms). This is especially necessary for women who like to use their menstrual period as safe period for unprotected sex. However, if this is ovulatory bleeding, then you run a high risk of pregnancy. Therefore, doctors suggest that it’s unwise to use menses as a means of contraception unless you are sure of your cycles.
- However, those women who know their ovulation approximately and have pretty regular menses, are protected during their periods and do not conceive after having sex.
- Most doctors also state that intercourse during menses is more of a taboo all over the world, in different cultures and religions. Many women and their partners however enjoy sex during the periods because little extra fluids are available during this period and this makes their sexual experience more gratifying.
- Another postulate says that coitus during menses eases the dysmenorrhea. It means, the sex eases the woman from the abdominal cramps she experiences during her periods. The orgasm is said to save her from cramps. This is however not true with all women and in some of them; the pain may be aggravated after intercourse.
- The major problem most couples face is the unusual messiness during menses that occurs after intercourse. This is the reason most couples avoid intercourse during menses despite having increased sex urge. However, some couples find the use of specific tampons or diaphragms useful during menses and save them from undue messiness.
- However, there are some risks you may have to face if you have sex during menses without condom. Let’s see what are they-
1. Most sexually transmitted organisms thrive better in the rich menstrual blood. The women or men who contact STDs during menses have worse manifestations of the disease than those who contact STDs during non-menstrual period. Thus, use of condom is stressed especially in high risk people.
2. The HIV is also transmitted easily in the menstrual blood of an infected woman.
3. Some of the gynecologists advise against the sex during menses because according to them, sex during menses can increase the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease in women.
4. If the woman is suffering from herpes infection, the flare up is common during her periods. This can lead to easy transmission of herpes virus.
Thus, there are different perspectives mentioned by experts about the safety of having sex during periods. If you are fine with the mess it causes and you are protected by use of barrier method like condom, having sex during menses is pretty much acceptable. Now your partner will not be squeamish about your complete retreat during your periods. You can also materialize your heightened sex drive during menses by having sex! Well, sex drive is the most ancient drive human being possesses. Let get accustomed to it without having taboo ideas anymore!