It has been a tradition for every expensive product that they face a huge competition from cheaper alternatives or duplicate ones. And unfortunately, our beloved spice, Saffron, also hasn’t been spared from them in the market too.
In this blog, we will know how to recognize pure saffron from the fake one and its 15 miraculous uses.
What is Saffron?
Saffron, derived from the flower of plant Crocus Sativus, is the most expensive spice in the world. But I’d like to assure you that it’s worth the price as we discuss its benefit for our body. Saffron, Kesar, Jafran, Zaefran (Arabic), whatever you call it has many varieties available. The best is grown in Kashmir and we know them as Padmagadhi.
There are no machines available to check if the saffron you’ve got is pure or a fake one. But here are a few things which can help you distinguish among them.
1. Smell: If you already know the aroma of pure saffron then you will easily get through the fake saffron. Pure saffron is a blend of honey and hay.
2. Taste: Please keep in mind, saffron is a spice and it can never be sweet. So if you buy saffron, keep it in your tongue and make sure it is not sweet.
3. Colour: Saffron retains its original color always. If there is any added color, it will for sure get washed off. So take the saffron out and put it in a glass of water. The water will get colored but when you take the saffron thread out, it must retain its original color.
4. A mini-lab test: Don’t worry you don’t need any scientific equipment for that. Just mix baking soda with water and add saffron in it. Pure saffron will turn the mixture Yellow. If it’s fake, the mixture will get dim red.
5. Sweet word: Remember what pure saffron has to say:
“I smell sweet but I will not taste”.
Now when we have got pure saffron for us, we must know its amazing uses too. It has many health benefits. If used properly, they can help reduce the following health diseases.
1. Alzheimer’s disease
An oral consumption of certain saffron products (IMPIRAN, IRAN) for 22 weeks can improve the symptoms of this disease.
2. Fights cancer
Experiments with saffron extracts shows that it can help in reducing pancreatic cancer, breast cancer, and leukemia.
3. Helps in Arthritis Treatment
Arthritis treatment is facilitated by cerebral oxygenation. Saffron plays an important role in that.
4. Improves Digestion
Saffron’s antioxidant effects and anti-inflammatory properties help to cure digestive disorders effectively.
5. Relief from Menstrual symptoms
Though there is limited evidence, it’s found that it can reduce dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation involving abdominal cramps)
6. Insect bites
Applying saffron insects on insect bites can give good relief.
7. Cures Asthma
Since ancient times, it has been used to cure Asthma. But it is always advised to consult a physician in such cases.
There are other of health benefits of saffron including it offers radiant skin, treats dull skin and lightens it, enhances liver health and heals wounds.
Since now we know miraculous uses of Saffron and know how to recognize pure saffron from the fake one, I believe it will soon find a spot in your kitchen. Please let us know in the comments section below how you find this article. All suggestions for any other benefits you know and how you use saffron in your diets are always welcome. Stay healthy, stay glowing!