Known as a superfood, honey is a by-product of flowers, sucked by bees and extracted from their digestive tract. It is as old as 8000 years. Honey extraction and beekeeping is found in a Mesolithic rock painting in Valencia, Spain. Romans are known to use honey to treat injuries after battles. The oldest remains relating to honey is found by archeologists in Georgia. In ancient Egypt and Greece, it was used as sweeteners. Its use in ancient India is recorded in Vedas, which are at least 4000 years old. Even today, honey is used for varied causes. Below are six wonders of using honey.
Did you know! Honey never gets spoilt. It is known for its shelf life. In fact, the older it gets, the better it gets in terms of its medicinal use.
1. Insect Bites and Stings
- Other than being anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and anti-fungal, honey can sterilize cuts and wounds.
- It is great to soothe a bee sting or an insect bite.
- In fact, it is used as an effective treatment for psoriasis.
2. Skin Smoothener
- Honey is extremely useful to smoothen the skin.
- It is known to moisturize and nourish dry skin. In fact, it can be applied to smoothen cracked lips in winters.
- Apply it directly to the skin and wash it off, or dilute a tablespoon full of honey in a bucket of warm water and bathe with it.
- In fact, it helps with scars and hyperpigmentation.
- Use honey to get rid of a dry and flaky scalp and moisturize it.
- If you like lighter colored hair, honey can do that as well. It will also provide a shine.
- Make a mask with eggs, yogurt and honey and apply it from scalp to tips. Wash it off with lukewarm water after an hour.
Did you know! Honey cannot be extracted from all species of bees and it is not extracted only from bees. Honey can also be extracted from wasps.
4. Burns and Wounds
- Honey was used in ancient times to treat burns and wounds.
- It is said to heal burns and wounds without any adverse effects or reactions.
5. Weight Management
- According to experts, honey is a great fat cutter and works even in sleep.
- Dilute a tablespoon full of honey and lemon in a glass of warm water and drink it empty stomach every morning.
- You can also use honey in green tea, lemon water, etc.
6. Immunity, Cough, and Cold
- According to experts, honey has antioxidants and its consumption can greatly strengthen the immunity.
- It is used to treat coughs, sore throats and cold since time immemorial.
- Drink honey and lemon diluted water to treat coughs and sore throats.
- It can also be used in a concentrated form with ginger juice for the same.
Did you know! Its said that honey was a part of Cleopatra’s everyday beauty ritual.
Honey is considered to be a miraculous ingredient by experts and is used to heal illnesses without adverse effects. Buy honey from local beekeepers to ensure it’s raw and organic. In fact, you can also learn the process of beekeeping and honey extraction and it can be an interactive session.
Let us know if you know of more such uses of honey. Drop us a comment below or write to us on email.