Essential oils are typically used in aromatherapy. They are extracted from plants. They contain the essence of the plant. They are also called volatile oils, ethereal oils or aetherolea. They are obtained through distillation, generally by using steam and are said to help in relaxation.
Did you know! Essential oils cannot be patented!
Below is the list of 5 essential oils that one must have at home.
1. Eucalyptus oil
- It is known to be a disinfectant. Hence added to laundry, floor mopping liquid, etc.
- Used for cough, cold and flu. Add a few drops to a handkerchief or to a bowl of hot water for steam inhalation.
- Treat acne by applying eucalyptus oil to it before bed. It not only reduces swelling but also prevents scarring.
- In a study conducted with 62 patients, it helped reduce anxiety.
- It has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-fungal, antioxidizing and muscle relaxing properties.
2. Lemon oil
- Research conducted by Japanese scientists showed that lemon oil reduced the dose of tranquilizers in people suffering from depression.
- Dilute a few drops of lemon oil in water and use the mixture as a spray before going out in the sun. It would help in lightening and brightening the color of your hair.
- Soak a cotton ball and drop it at the very bottom of your garbage bag to cut odor.
- Use lemon oil to treat candida (yeast) infections. A study has found that lemon has an anti-microbial effect because it is high in monoterpenoids.
Did you now! Essential oils come from less than 1% of the total plant species!
3. Lavender oil
- It aids in sleeping. Add a few drops of lavender oil to your diffuser or to your pillow.
- It acts as a freshener for cars, indoors, bathrooms etc.
- Adds a sweet floral smell to food. Use it in combination with mint or lemon to add a great flavor.
- It helps set the mood. Jazz up your room before a dinner party or even before meditation.
- Treat migraines or occasional headaches by inhaling a few drops of lavender oil. It has analgesic properties.
4. Sandalwood oil
- Massage a few drops of sandalwood oil to muscle spasms. It has anti-spasmodic properties.
- Mix in a few drops of sandalwood oil to water or milk to get relief from hypertension or high blood pressure.
- A study in Texas showed that sandalwood oil successfully helped in treating skin diseases like eczema, allergies, psoriasis and a severe condition called molluscum contagiosum.
- It is also known to improve renal health by increasing the frequency of urination. It, therefore, aids in healing kidney infections and inflammation.
5. Peppermint oil
Did you know! A single drop of peppermint oil is equivalent to around 25-30 cups of peppermint tea!
- It aids in digestion and heals constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, stomach ache, nausea, and gastritis.
- It gives relief from sinusitis when inhaled with steam. It de-clogs nostrils, thins mucous and unblocks sinus airways.
- Add it to your shampoo to heal dandruff and hair lice.
- Mix in peppermint oil with rose water and aloe vera gel and use the solution as a refreshing toner.
- It helps curb hunger and cuts down on the appetite. Apply a few drops of peppermint oil to your neck and chest area before eating. Inhaling directly from the container also works.
Did you now! Essential oils are not actually oils. Oils contain fatty acids, which essential oils do not. They are highly concentrated plant extracts!
Go ahead and buy your favorite essential oils. Be it for relaxation after a long day at the office, giving your food a whole new dimension or even to treat an infection, essential oils will always have a number of uses. Just make sure to store them in airtight and dark colored containers in a cool and dry space.
Do let us know if you know more uses of the above essential oils. Drop a comment below or email us!