Mouthwash is considered as one of the best dental care product which is very beneficial to prevent many types of dental diseases. It maintains the hygiene of your mouth and protects it from the attack of various bacteria. So it is very important for you to be aware of what a mouth rinse or mouthwash does and which one is best for you.
How does a mouthwash work in your oral cavity?
Mouthwash can be used for variety of reasons. It not only freshens your breath, but also control decaying of tooth, stops plaque (a thin film of bacteria formed on the tooth surface) and tartar (hard stony plaque) formation and different types of gingival (gum) infections.
Mouth wash contains many ingredients and each ingredient works in different way. The basic ingredients of a mouthwash contains are water, alcohol, cleansing agents and flavoring agents. The active ingredients are:
- Anti-microbial agent: It directly works on the bacteria and decreases the formation plaque, gum infections and improves odor.
- Fluoride: It makes your teeth stronger and protects it from decay.
- Astringent salt: It reduces bad breath.
How to choose your mouthwash?
The ingredients of a mouthwash vary from brand to brand. Non-alcohol based mouth rinses are also available in the market. Best option is to ask your dentist which one is better for you. Some of the important points that can help you to choose a right mouthwash are mentioned below:
- Always buy a non-alcohol based mouthwash if you have children below 5 years.
- Prefer a natural or herbal mouthwash if your mouth is sensitive to the ingredients of other brands.
- Always prefer a fluoride containing mouthwash because it is very efficient for your complete dental health.
Apart from the products available in the market, you can try a remedy that is very easy to make at your home. The ingredients are:
- 2 boiled onion and squeeze out the juice that get soak with a cloth
- 2 cloves of garlic and again squeeze the juice from it.
- 1 cup Water
Mix both the juices with the water and keep it in a jar. When you want to rinse your mouth, you can add some more water to reduce the strong smell of garlic and onion. You can also avoid the smell of G and O by brushing your teeth after gargling. This home remedy is very useful for cleaning your mouth from germs. But due to the strong smell of garlic-onion, people always prefer the mouthwashes available in the market.
Your oral hygiene depends on how you take care of your mouth. For this, you need to adopt some healthy habits in your daily life. Using a good mouthwash is one of the important steps to keep your oral cavity away from all the dental problems. So start this habit from today and enjoy a better dental health.